A simplified guide of how Multiple District 13 (MD13)  evolved from 1917 to the present.
By PDG Bill Keller (Past MD13 webmaster)
I want to stress that this page is under construction and by no means is a complete guide at this time.


Melvin Jones

Lions Clubs began as the dream of Chicago businessman Melvin Jones.
June 7, 1917 in Chicago, Illinois, an organizational meeting was held and the "Association of Lions Clubs" was formed. A national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and code of ethics were approved.
Complete list and photo's of all the Past International Presidents of Lions Clubs International.
1918: The associations first tentative grouping of the states into nine districts.
Ohio was included in the Ninth District, which included Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Eastern Wisconsin.
The first District Governor of the Ninth District was George W. Milligan of Chicago, Illinois.
The First Lions Club Magazine published on November, 1918.
Click here to read the complete magazine.(Best viewed at 75%)
 

1920: March 13, the first Lions Club “Cleveland Host” was organized and 12 Clubs in Ohio rapidly joined. The first District Convention was held in Columbus, Ohio on October 14. International President Dr. C.C. Reid of Denver, Colorado presented all 13 Clubs their charters; the Ashland Cub was organized later that year. Dr B.W. Beatty of Dayton was elected to be first District Governor, and Ohio is now known as "Ohio District".
John Ress of Columbus was the District secretary and a Advisory Board was put into operation.
The association became International when the first club in Canada was established in 1920.
 Complete list of MD13 District & State Conventions 1920 to present.
MD13 Convention, International Guest, and Guest speakers 1920-2008.
 Complete list of District Governors 1920 to present.
Organization Charter and Closed Dates of Lions Clubs in Ohio 1920–2014. (Revised 10/9/2014)
 


Dr B.W. Beatty
1921:The second District Convention held in Dayton. Dr B.W. Beatty was elected to serve as Governor, that same year Dr. Beatty was elected to be Third Vice President of Lions International, Beatty resigned as District Governor and Orson C. Norton of Toledo was appointed to serve as District Governor.
Editors Note: see Ohio's Chronological Participation In International Leadership for Ohio's International family details here .
 


1922: International re-districted the entire country and re-numbered them, Ohio became known as District 13.
Orson C. Norton was elected to serve as District Governor and three trustees were elected at the third District Convention held in Lima, Ohio.
Child Welfare was adopted as a Club/District project. Ohio now has 16 clubs and 1,018 members.

1923: May 24
th at the fourth annual convention of District 13 in Akron, it was decided to take over as a District project, the publication and free distribution of the "Juvenile Braille Magazine" which the Cincinnati Lions Club had undertaken for several years before. It was voted unanimously
to publish the magazine and send it to every blind child in Ohio. Albert Elton of Youngstown was elected District Governor and three trustees.
Ohio now has 19 clubs and 1,078 members.

 

1925:The ninth annual International Convention held in conjunction with the sixth District 13 Convention held at Cedar Point, Ohio, Helen Keller challenged Lions to become "Knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness."
Read Helen Keller's full speech here . Click on program for larger image.

Edward S. Babcox of Akron was elected to serve as District Governor and four trustees were elected.
Governor Babcox appointed E.H. Boylan of Akron as District Secretary and John Ress of Columbus as District Treasurer.
Later that year Governor Babcox organized the State officers.


1926: Ohio Lions adopted first State Constitution. The first Lions song book issued.
Horace Kerr of Columbus was elected to serve as District Governor at the seventh District 13 Convention held at Columbus and he appointed nine Lieutenant Governors.
Ohio now has 40 clubs and 1,806 members.
 

1927: Horace Kerr of Columbus was elected to serve a three year term as International Director at the 11th annual International Convention held in Miami, Florida. Walter Schmitt of Cincinnati was elected to serve as District Governor and Chet Moreland of Cincinnati was named District Secretary/Treasurer at the seventh annual District convention in Toledo. The District was to be administered in nine sub-districts each under a Lieutenant Governor.


1928: The Juvenile Braille Magazine had now been adopted by Lions International. 1,886 copies were sent to blind children in Ohio.
Ohio now has 48 Clubs and 2,159 members.
 

1932: John Lloyd of Portsmouth was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 16th annual International Convention held in Los Angeles, California. See the Ohio Lions District 13 Convention Programs from the 1930's here.

 

1933: District 13 Ohio divides into Multiple District 13 (MD13) composed of 13A & 13B.
Don Gibbs of Urbana was elected District Governor of 13A and Harry Shanks of Dayton elected District Governor of 13B at the fourteenth annual convention
held in Cleveland.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.


1934:Ohio Lions have always been active in blind work and the visitors at the fifteenth annual District convention of Ohio Lions in Cincinnati had the privilege of witnessing the printing of the Juvenile Braille Monthly Lions magazine for blind children, printed by the blind women of Clovernook.
Ohio now has 86 clubs and 2,760 members.

1935:
John Lloyd was elected to serve a one year term as International Director at the 19th annual International Convention held in Mexico City, Mexico to fill the unexpired term of Walter F. Dexter of Whittier, California.
Guy W. Brentlinger was elected to serve on the Executive Council Board of Directors of Lions International.

1936: A.H. Alexander was elected to serve on the Executive Council Board of Directors of Lions International.

1937:At the eighteenth annual District 13 convention in Toledo a new District Governors organization was adopted. Each Governor was to have a Deputy Governor and Zone chairman. District Committees at the time where: Executive & Advisory Committees, Credentials, Resolutions, Constitution & By Laws, Custodian of Brail Fund and Controller and a Convention Committee.
 


1938: Henry Bowers of Toledo
was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 22nd annual International Convention Oakland, California.

 

 

1941-1942: MD13 divides into 4 new sub-districts 13A, 13B, 13C, & 13D.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.
Ohio now has 131 clubs and 5,213 members.
See the Ohio Lions District 13 Convention Programs from the 1940's here. 

 

1945: Guy W. Brentlinger of Lima was appointed to serve a two year term as International Director there was no International or District Convention due to the war. Each sub-district held it’s own meeting for general business and election of officers.

1947: MD13 divides from 4 sub-districts to 6 sub-districts and adds 13E & 13F.
Clarence Jenkins named 1st State Secretary of Ohio Lions; Jenkins passed away suddenly and was replaced by George Bormuth.
Constitutional changes were made to accommodate the office of State Secretary and the State office was opened in October 1948 in the Southern Hotel in Columbus. This was an outstanding year for Ohio, 23 new clubs had been organized making a total of 207 Clubs and
11,295 members.


 A.B. Dredge

1948: MD13 divides from 6 sub-districts to 7 sub-districts and adds 13G.
A. Blee Dredge of Springfield was elected to serve
a two year term as International Director held at the 31st annual International Convention in New York, New York.  picture.

 

1950: MD13 divides from 7 sub-districts to 8 sub-districts and adds 13H.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here
Erwin C. Baum was employed by Lions International as a special representative to organize new clubs and service others in Ohio.
 A.B. Dredge was defeated for 3
rd VP in 1950 at the 33rd International Convention in Chicago, IL
Ohio now has 278 clubs and 14,054 members.

See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from the 1950's here.
State Directories photo page 1950's .

1951:William C. Wiseman of Dayton was endorsed as a candidate for International Director but was appointed as Chairman of the Board of International Relations at LCI.
A.B. Dredge was killed in an automobile accident on August 1951. 


1952: George Bormuth resigns as State Secretary . A new State Secretary Erwin C. Baum was appointed by the State Council.
Ohio Lions Eye Research Fund (OLERF) started, Everett R, Steece of Columbus was elected as Custodian. The contributions received was to be used at specified Universities for research in the cause of blindness.


Dr Dan Martin

1953: Dr. Dan Martin of Greenville was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 36th annual International Convention in Chicago, Illinois. Lions International building dedicated in Chicago, Illinois.

The first Eye Research contribution of $1200.00 was presented to Dr. Doan, Dean of the Medical College at Ohio State University at the thirty-fourth annual State convention of Ohio Lions held in Columbus on May 8-10,1953.
 


1954:The motto, "We Serve," was adopted by Lions International.
Clarence Stuckey was employed by Lions International as a special representative and would be working in Southern Ohio on extension work.

1956:Ruth Reeder is hired as State Office Secretary assistant she held that position until 1968.
Martin was defeated for 3rd VP in 1956 at the 36th International Convention in Chicago, IL.
 

1957: Sub-District 13A divides into (2) new sub-districts A-1 & A-2.
W.R. “Dick” Bryan of Doylestown was elected to serve as International Director held at the 40th annual International Convention in San Francisco, California. Ohio Lions Eye Research becomes incorporated and trustees are elected.
We now have 445 clubs and 19,452 members.
Council of Governors photos 1957-1959.

 Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.


1958: Sumner W. Terry Loomis replaced Baum as State Secretary.
 

1959: Clarence DenHerder replaced Loomis as State Secretary.
Sub-District 13F divides into (2) new sub-districts 13F-1 & 13F-2.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.
1960:Change in District designation from 13A-1,A-2, B, C, D, E, F-1, F-2, G, and H to 13A, B, C, D, E, F, G H, I and J.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.

1960:MD13 Ohio Past Council Chairs 1960-2014.


Ralph Blaney

Also in 1960, Ralph Blaney of Old Fort was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 43rd annual International Convention in Chicago, Illinois. Each Multiple District or State issued a small pin usually in the shape of their state for their delegates to trade at the International Convention. These pins where called FRIENDSHIP PINS. See Lions International Pin Trading Club for more information.
Ohio Lions adopt Pilot Dogs as a state project.  MD13 State Pins 1960-2008.
State Directory photo page 1960's . See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from the 1960's here.

Council of Governors photos 1960-1969 . MD 13 Ohio Lions Past Council Chairs 1960-present.

1961:Founder of Lions International, Melvin Jones passes away in his home at Flossmoor, Illinois on June 1st.
Click on magazine for larger picture. And read the article here.
(Best viewed at 100%)
If you look closely at the bottom of the first page, it was published in Dayton, Ohio.

1962:Carl Yingling replaced DenHerder as State Secretary.


Homer Hoover

1963: District 13I changes letter designation to 13K. The reason was not to be confused with MD131.
Click on image for larger picture or a even larger printable map is available here.
Homer Hoover of Wooster was elected to serve
a two year term as International Director at the 46th annual International Convention in Miami, Florida.
 
1966: Another statewide redistricting took place and was done all over MD13 to make a more equal distribution of clubs and membership among the sub-districts (Our current map). Ohio now has 447 clubs and 20,800 members.
Ohio Lions Uniform Chairman was Alton B. Moore, he held this position until 1975.
W.R. “Dick” Bryan of Doylestown was elected 3
rd Vice President of Lions Club International 49th annual International Convention, held in New York, NY.


1967:Lions Clubs International adopted the Leo Club Program as an official program of the association.
W.R. “Dick” Bryan was elected 2nd Vice President of Lions Club International 50th annual International Convention, held in Chicago, IL.


1968:Projects and Finance Advisory Committee began.
Dee Sutphin
is hired as  State Office Secretary assistant.
W.R. “Dick” Bryan was elected 1st Vice President of Lions Club International 51st annual International Convention, held in Dallas, TX.
 

1969: W.R. “Dick” Bryan of Doylestown was elected President of Lions Club International 52nd annual International  Convention, held in Tokyo, Japan. “Ohio’s First International President”.
Ohio now has 481 clubs and 21,100 members.
W. R. "Dick" Bryan Presidential Candidate Photos
Click on magazine for larger picture.
W.R. “Dick” Bryan's Inaugural Address
Campaign Buttons & Pins.








 


1970: John "Jack" Thomson hired as State Secretary replaces Yingling. Thomson's Office Secretary assistant was Jeanne Rector.
 
State Directory photo page 1970's . See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from the 1970's.
Council of Governors photos 1970-1979.
 

1972: Merle W. Hartle of Piketon was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 55th annual International Convention in Mexico City, Mexico.
 


1973:Council Chairman are now elected from the previous Council of Governors.

1974:The "Buckeye Lion" Newsletter was published the editor was Jack Rollings and art director Jim Mitchell.
Note: click on the link above for full details and pictures of our past newsletters.


1975:The State Office is now located at the Neil House on North High Street in Columbus. It was replaced with the Huntington Bank Tower in the early 1980's.
Ohio Lions Uniform Chairman was PDG Harold Wood, he held this position until 1979.
 

1977: William P. Leibensperger of Columbus was elected to serve a two year term as International Director held at the 60th annual International Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana. The first USA/Canada Lions Forum was held in Rosemont, Illinois.
 


1979:Ohio Lions Uniform Chairman was Gene Wells he held this position until 1982.

1980:
James T . Coffey of Toronto was elected to serve as International Director held at the 63rd annual International Convention in Chicago, Illinois. Canadian Lions asked to officially join the USA Lions Forum in St. Louis, Missouri. The USA Lions Forum is now called the "USA/Canada Lions Forum". State directory photo page 1980's. See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from the 1980's.

1981:The State Office is now located at the Arlington Arms Hotel on Dublin Road in Columbus.

 

1982/1983: PID William "Bill" P. Leibensperger endorsed by the Lions of Ohio at the MD State Convention in 1982 as a candidate for 3rd V.P.
Read the story of PID Bill "A Lion On The Verge of Obtaining the Presidency of our Association" by PIP Jim Coffey here

 

1984:The Ohio Lions All State Youth Band was started.


1985:Ohio Lions Foundation (OLF) was formed.
PDG Earl "Butch" Strawn replaces Thomson as State Secretary now known as State Executive Administrator (SEA).
 

1986: Daniel W. "Dan" Cole of Marietta was elected to serve a two year term as International Director held at the  69th annual International Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana.
OLF State committee formed.
Ohio Lions Uniforms & products taken over by C. Lee Weddell ( C.L.W. Distributors) sold Lions goods until 1997.
 


1987: The State office is now located at the Eastland Professional Plaza on Refugee Road in Columbus.
Cindy Rawlins replaces Jeanne Rector as State Office Secretary assistant.

1990:The State office is now located in Groveport.
James T. Coffey was elected 3
rd Vice President of Lions Club International 73rd annual International Convention held in St Louis, Mo.
State Directory photo page 1990's .See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from the 1990's.

 

1991:"The Ohio Lion " Newsletter was published and the editor was PDG Bob Lowry.
James T. Coffey was elected 2
nd Vice President of Lions Club International 74th annual International Convention held in Brisbane, Australia.
 

1992:Lion W.M. "Bill" Riggs Jr. replaces Strawn as SEA. One of the many task the SEA had to carry out was the editing and printing of the Ohio Lion newsletter. James T. Coffey was elected 1st Vice President of Lions Club International 75th annual International Convention held in Hong Kong.
 

1993: James T. Coffey of Toronto was elected President of Lions Club International 76th annual International Convention held in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Editors Note: see Ohio's Past International Presidents and Directors photos and biographies here.
Title of Senior Deputy Governor is now Vice District Governor and Junior Deputy Governor is now Deputy District Governor.
Click on magazine for larger picture.
James T. Coffey's Inaugural Address
1995: Floyd Newberry, Jr. of Sardinia was elected to serve a two year term as International Director held at the 78th annual International Convention in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
A State Office building was purchased on March 10
th in Grove City.

1997:PDG Ray Empson replaces Riggs as SEA. Membership, Extension, and Leadership (MEL) Coordinators formed.
Lion Ivy Walters (13J) was elected to serve as the first woman District Governor.

1998:Lion Jim Green replaces Empson as SEA. Lions uniforms now taken over by B&L Distributors owned by PDG Bill & Lion Loretta Rauch until 2005.

1999:The first Campus Club of MD13 "The Ohio State University" was charted on October 28, 1999.
PDG Ray Empson was responsible for starting the first Campus Club.

2000: PDG Bob Woodside takes over as full time editor of The Ohio Lion Newsletter and held this position until 2003.
State Directory photo page 2000. See the Ohio Lions MD13 State Convention Programs from 2000.

2001: Multiple District 13 website goes online.

2002: Title change from State Executive Administrator to Multiple District Secretary/Treasurer (MDST) Membership, Extension, Retention, and Leadership (MERL) Coordinators formed. PDG Judy Strawn (13K) was elected to serve as the first woman Council of Governors Chairman at the MD13 State convention in Akron.
 

2003: Gary L. Brown of Urbana was elected to serve a two year term as International Director held at the 86th annual International Convention in Denver, Colorado. First on-line Fall issue newsletter called  "The Ohio On-Lion News" produced by Lion's Mark Page and Bill Keller.
 


2004: PDG Ed Green replaces Jim Green (no relation to each other) as Interim Multiple District Secretary (MDS) and  PDG Richard Kisamore becomes Interim Multiple District Treasurer (MDT). Note: It was decided by the Council of Governors to split the duties of the MDST to Multiple District Secretary (MDS) and Multiple District Treasurer (MDT).
Lion Bill & Cindy Keller
take over as full time co-editors of The Ohio On-Lion Newsletter.

2005:Lion Debbie Luttrell replaces Green as MDS and PDG Jay Gray replaces Kisamore as MDT.
MERL changes name to MERL+ adding Women's Development and Campus Club Coordinators.
PDG Jerry Smith (District 13A) and PCC PDG Steven Sherer (District 13G) announce their candidacies at the Annual Fall Conference in Columbus on November 6, 2005 to run for International Director. Wildcat Sports take over as Ohio Lions Uniforms & products provider.


2006:
At the 87th Annual State Convention May 20th, 2006 in Cincinnati, PCC PDG Steven Sherer is elected and is endorsed by the Lions of Ohio to run for ID in Boston.

Steven D. Sherer of New Philadelphia was elected to serve a two year term as
International Director held at the 89th annual International Convention in Boston, Massachusetts. The 30th Annual USA/Canada Lions Leadership Forum was held in Columbus.

2008-2009: A state wide Club blitz took place producing 18 new clubs into MD13.

2009:
At the 90th Annual State Convention May 16th, 2009 in Dublin, PDG Jerry Smith is elected and is endorsed by the Lions of Ohio to run for ID in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A constitutional name change of VDG to 1st Vice District Governor and DDG to 2nd Vice District Governor also took place at the State convention.
Blue Frog Promotions takes over as Ohio Lions Uniforms & products provider.
Jerry Smith, from Wauseon was elected to serve a two year term as International Director at the 92
nd International Convention, held in Minneapolis, Minnesota July 6-10, 2009.

2009: Lion Bill & Cindy Keller resign as co-editors of the State newsletter, a monthly newsletter is now produced by Lion Becky Thornton.

 
Editors Note: 1938 & 1953 International Convention pins courtesy of CLPTC.
PIP Dick Bryan & PIP James Coffey 100% perfect attendance pins, Ohio 1960 State pin, PIP Dick Bryan & PIP James Coffey pins courtesy of
Ohio Pin Traders
.
 

History researched from:

Hit Counter


Ohio Lions Inc. ©® 2017